Saturday, June 07, 2014

Percy Priest/Stones River 6-4-2014

Percy Priest/Stones River June 3, 2014

I had an argument with myself this morning, in bed, between 5:45 and 6:15, go fishing or roll over. I did decide to hitch up and headed to Jefferson Pike ramp on the Stones river. Began at the flat near the confluence of the Spring, Fall and Stones with topwater baits. Caught 12" bass on a popper (Yellow Magic). After a while I caught 15" on a pencil popper on a great blow up. If I had not hooked up I would have sworn it was a 6 pounder. Went back over the area with a buzz bait. Got a couple of good blow ups but the bass threw the hook. I put a trailer hook on but no more strikes. I began to work a Squarebill on the main point when I saw a strange sight. A great blue heron was floating on the water when it flew up and then down in a splash on a cluster of shad. I began to cast in the area and got a terrific strike on my crank bait. Turned out to be a White bass about 1.25 pounds. They are so much fun to catch so I was in pursue mode. Caught another freight train about the same size and I was prepared to stay with the school. But apparently there was only two in the school....or they moved. I caught no more. 

Fished on up Spring Creek with a Carolina rig with a Baby Brush Hog. Picked up a few bass. Reversed and headed back up the Stones and caught a couple of more. Next stop was the inevitable East/West Fork. Caught 4 around the island last week. Didn't get a bite today. Fished my way back to the ramp by 1:00. Total catch 7 bass and 2 White bass. Not terrible but still disappointing. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home