Saturday, June 21, 2014

Percy Priest June 20, 2014

Percy Priest June 20, 2014

Four AM came rather early this day before Summer begins, never mind it's been in the 90's all week. Pulled my cover off the boat and spread it out in my garage to dry the dew off. My next door neighbor's son, Austin Sistrunk was right on time at 4:30. Austin is a rising Junior on baseball scholarship at Lipscomb University. He has always fished but in the past few months he has fallen in love with bass fishing. I feel sorry for him. 

We headed out for Percy Priest after making that well known stop at Hardee's. Have to get Austin started right. We were on the lake at 5:30 and head down lake for Smith Springs. As we arrived the bay was alive with feeding fish blowing up. I picked up a topwater popper and got a strike on the first cast. Missed the fish and then did not get another topwater strike the rest of the day. Austin and I began to try a number of lures and presentations. The fish which we determined were white bass seemed to be feeding on a very small bait fish. We finally picked up a couple of white bass each on tiny grubs. It is really frustrating to have fish blowing up all around us and not have them easy to catch.

I had read a report from the day before that bass were schooling every morning from 7-8 am in Hamilton Creek. Now that is a big creek and they didn't say exactly where. Suffice it to say we didn't find any bass schooling. We did see a few white bass but couldn't entice them to bite. From there we fished Raccoon Island but no bass. Back to Smith Springs around the sailboat marina. Austin and I picked up 2 or 3 bream but no bass. Moved into  YMCA cove. Austin got a sunfish, no bass. Evidently the bass are on strike. Next stop was the cove to the left after the Hobson bridge. Moved back into a pocket where I have had some consistent success. Caught a nice 1.5 pound smallmouth on a baby brush hog.  Few minutes later caught another one but smaller. Next stop was the island in Savage Creek. I seldom fail to catch one or more bass here. This was one of the seldoms. We then moved to Bryant's Grove. No bass here either at least that we could persuade to bite. Loaded out about12:30 and headed for home. I really enjoyed fishing with Austin. I am disappointed I couldn't put him on some bass but they have moved deeper and I just don't have any good deep spots. He is going to be an excellent fisherman. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home