Thursday, April 09, 2015

Percy Priest April 8, 2015

Percy Priest April 8, 2015

Wednesday looked to be a nice day so I couldn't resist heading to the lake. The water is warming rapidly and fish are up shallow. Rains this week may have muddied things up.

Got to the lake at 8:30 am. I know, I know. I just didn't feel like getting up early, especially going alone. I have probably launched my boat a few hundred times. I have a long rope with spring hooks on each end. Hook one end to the bow hook and the other to the trailer. Back the trailer, float the boat, pull it in, tie it to the dock. One problem, the hook on the trailer wasn't secure. You got it. My boat drifted out in the middle of the cove about 100 yards away. No other boats putting in or taking out while I stand there red faced. Not crazy about swimming. Noticed a couple of old codgers (like me) fishing about 50 yards down from the ramp. I walked down and asked if they could help me to my boat. After they got through laughing they said sure. They picked me up and dropped me on my boat so I went fishing after thanking the guys profusely.

I went straight to Sister Cove after noting the water was up a couple of feet since last week. No bites here. Also no baitfish were evident. Next stop was Jones Mill where I caught a couple last week. Didn't see near as much baitfish but I was optimistic. Finally had 2-3 good bites but the fish didn't seem to be committing. Finally caught a nice keeper on guess what...a Squarebill. Time for a confession. Last week I said was using an Oyster color Squarebill. I was wrong. It was one of the many varieties of Sexy Shad.  Sorry if you went out looking for an Oyster. Not positive it comes in a Squarebill. I couldn't find one. I do use that color in a Red Eye Shad. Caught a couple of shorts (small bass) and a couple of small white bass. 

Decided to head for the rivers. Stopped in a flat that is often productive but it was pretty off color. When I got to the confluence of the 3 rivers it was like chocolate milk. Went into Spring Creek and discovered pretty clear water maybe a quarter of a mile up. Went into the first of two coves on the right. Again I had several bites without hookups until I finally caught another keeper and then a second. Worked my way into the second larger cove. As I worked my way toward the rocky point where I caught the six pounder, anther boat came into the cove and made a beeline for the rocky point in front of me. Rude but I don't think they knew any better. Fished out that cove with no more bites. Moved on up Spring Creek fishing likely looking spots. Finally picked one more keeper in the creek. The water in the previous coves was 65-67. All these fish were in 2-3 feet around rocks.

Decided it was time to head in. Fished one more quick spot in Stewart's Creek but no more bites. Loaded the boat uneventfully and headed home by 3:00. The water for the most part was dingy, muddy in the river, clear up in Spring. Did not go into Fall Creek. The Stone was muddy. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home